Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Diary of...a not-so-whimpy-Kid


There is a book series out for elementary kids called Diary of a Whimpy Kid that is cute and very readable. Wylie has been engrossed and was close to finishing it yesterday. This birthed the following exchange:


Wylie: "Mom, I want to do a scrapbook of my life--you know--with pictures and stuff".


Me: "Ok, I have a scrapbook upstairs--I think--that you can use". I replied to him as I was tidying up dishes in the kitchen and getting ready to sit down for the first time on Tuesday to relax a little.


Wylie: "Can you get it now?"


I realized, resistence was futile.


A reformed Creative Memories addict, of course I had scrapbooks upstairs he could use (along with 100s of dollars of other scrapbooking "stuff" that I had to have and haven't used in over 3 years....) Finally, I found a scrapbook I purchased for the boys hoping one day they might want to make their own book. See? How prophetic I was???


Once I got out the materials and supplies, Wylie began his "diary" in earnest. He worked on layouts, cutting pictures, writing narratives, drawing pictures, recalling trips, holidays, school mates....he was "focused". I had to cut him off at 9:30!


Here's five things I love about this recent development:



  1. Wylie was inspired by something he read


  2. Wylie wanted to create something using his own imagination and ability


  3. Wylie drew pictures and wrote sentences for something other than required homework assignments


  4. Wylie used scissors (a hat tip to his years of Occupational Therapy) without complaining


  5. Wylie did not play a video game or watch a show on Tuesday after swim--he literally, read a book, listened to music, and "scrapped" until bedtime....

Ladies and Gentlemen....it's the dawn of a new CTI era....



Stay tuned (and pass those die-cuts over here.....)

No comments: