Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Rest

Was that for the wicked or the weary?

A group of us are learning about life's healing choices and we read a verse from the bible where Jesus says:

"Come to me, all who are burdened and weary, and you will find rest for your souls."

What does that mean?

What does it mean for my soul to rest? In our culture, we never really rest. How can we rest when we are perpetually reachable via text? How can we rest when multiple tasks are tackled with the greatest of ease through technology? Instead of lightening our load this efficiency in tasking has weighed us down. I don't believe anyone truly rests anymore.

But, maybe that's not the kind of rest Jesus was describing.

When I put my feet up, my body rests temporarily. What do I have to put up for my soul to rest?

One common definition explains that if something rests it's in a position such that its weight is supported. Am I in position such that my soul--the weight of my soul--is supported? As I consider this question, my mind wanders to the image of a mother cradling a baby while it sleeps. We envy this position; we boast sometimes about "sleeping like a baby". Babies sleep quite well nestled against a parents' soft, warm skin where the entire weight of the child is supported by loving, secure arms. How long has it been since my body or soul has known rest like that?

Maybe the question is not what do I have to put up for my soul to rest.

Maybe the question is what do I have to take down?

Jesus said "Come to me."

What is in my way today?

Zzzzzzzzzz

No comments: