Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Laces

Laces

“It bothers me”.
“It” is a shoelace double-knotted on my son’s left shoe. The knot tilts slightly to the left on the shoe instead of balancing nicely in the middle as all good knots should. Noting this I offer to fix it once we get to school. Sometimes these things are forgotten. The morning routine continues. Siblings are dropped off at their school, the extra stop at a famous drive-thru for morning caffeine completed, and the trek to sloppy-knot-shoe-son’s school is underway. Conversation about the weekend is enjoyed. All of this takes us thirty to forty-five minutes away from the first complaint about the offending lace. There is hope it could be forgotten.
Approaching the row of backpacks hung on pegs in front of my son’s class, the request is uttered again from behind me, “Can you fix it now”? And, I do. What parent doesn’t want to accommodate a child’s request for comfort and security? We all do hundreds of things a day for our kids almost subconsciously as we learn their likes and dislikes. All kids have likes and dislikes. All human beings have them. Some…more so than others.

No comments: