Wednesday, July 2, 2008

It's a Small World After All




ZigZagStraight (the blog) has only been in existence for a week. Although my interests are broad, the topic of Asperger and living with an Asperger child is pretty narrow. Even so, people from 8 different countries have dropped in for a visit since last week. This blows my mind! Now, as an economist, I understand that a page view does not an "addicted reader" make. However, it does underscore the idea that the world is a much smaller place thanks to virtual space.




Many of my friends and most of my family are not "into" online community like I am. Quite frankly, I'm addicted to http://www.twitter.com/ and consider a daily reading of http://www.tonymorganlive.com/ essential. But, it's a healthy addiction (if there is such a thing!) The power of dialogue/connection/community is virtually unlimited and could be radically transforming in the neighborhoods, cities, states, and the countries where we live.
Maybe what I love most is this: our kids only know this small world. To them, an answer to an interesting question is a google search away. Their minds are not limited by the distance between them and the closest library. There is a downside to all of this, I know. But, I think the positives outweigh the negatives.




"There's so much that we share that it's time we're aware...it's a small world afterall".....




No comments: